If there is no speech on the iPod/iPad, check the following:
1. Check the volume side switch. Make sure the volume is up by pressing the “up” button. (Shown below by the black arrow.)
2. Also, check the volume control slider in the Settings -> Sounds. Make sure the slider is all the way towards the right.
3. Check the toggle switch on the side of the unit is in the “up” position.
4. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the control center and make sure the volume is not muted and turned up.
5. If the previous two options are set properly and there is still no speech, go to Settings>General>Reset. Choose Reset All Settings (the top option).