Recorded messages in the ChatBox40 Plus must first be programmed by a person with a natural voice. Recording a message into the ChatBox40 Plus consists of recording a voice message and selecting the key or sequence of keys, which will later be pressed to speak the message. You can record up to 1.5 minutes of speech into each button..
Note: The ChatBox40 Plus allows for an optional text message to be displayed as the recording is spoken. This option was turned On at the factory. If you aren’t asked to enter text after recording a message, this option must be turned on in the User Feedback Options prior to recording messages if displayed text would be of value.
Prior to recording:
If you plan to include text with your recorded message you must have the clear overlay with the pre-printed alphabet in place on the machine.
To record a message:
- Choose MENU, Record Message is the first option
- Choose SELECT (screen will prompt you through the process)
- Select the button (or sequence of buttons) on the keyboard where you want to record the message
- Push and hold the SELECT key while speaking the recording
- Release the Select key immediately after making your recording to save memory space. If “Text Messages” is On in the User Feedback Options Menu, then you will be prompted to spell the text you would like to have displayed when the recording is played. Add a space to the end of the text.
- Either continue recording the remaining vocabulary or choose MENU to exit
Recording messages in different keyboard layouts
Prior to recording messages, determine which keyboard layout is most appropriate. The ChatBox40 Plus was shipped with both a 10 and 40 location keyboard. Put the keyboard, overlay and keyguard on the ChatBox40 Plus and you must then go to the Selection Technique menu and set the appropriate layout
- Record someone’s voice which is age and gender appropriate for the individual using the ChatBox
- Whenever possible, make the recording in a quiet room.
- Keep your mouth about 6 to 10 inches away from the ChatBox40 Plus and speak in a firm voice at slightly above conversation level.
- Release the key immediately after speaking to preserve memory space.
- Experiment speaking at different volumes and at different distances until you find the approach that works best for you.
- If including text with a recording be sure to add a space at the end of the text so the text does not run together on the display.