If you are wondering how to go about participating in the Minnesota Town Hall Meeting at Closing the Gap this October, wonder no more!
How to Participate in the Minnesota AAC Town Hall Meeting
Closing the Gap 2017
Where: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Bloomington, Minnesota
When: Wednesday, October 18th from 12:30-3:00PM
There is no cost for people who use AAC and one assistant to attend the Town Hall meeting.
Closing the Gap has generously offered free admission to all Wednesday sessions and the
exhibit hall! Also, you may attend the full conference for the reduced rate of $200 (one
assistant receives a guest pass). Please RSVP to Deanna.firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday,
September 22 if you plan to attend the Town Hall and let Deanna know if you will have an
assistant and which parts of the conference you wish to attend. Also let Deanna know if you
have any equipment or technology needs related to your AAC system.
The topic for the Town Hall meeting is “What Brings Us Together?”
The following questions will be used to guide the discussion. The facilitators will introduce each
question one at a time and give everyone the opportunity to share their thoughts:
1. Tell us your name and where you are from.
2. How are you similar to others who use AAC?
3. What makes you unique?
4. If you could do anything, what would you do?
- Consider ahead of time what you want to say during the meeting.
- Get some things ready to say before you come or while you are waiting.
- Have a note about how you communicate if you will need assistance.
- Take note of where the people with the microphones are in the room.
- The person with the microphone will tell you when it is your turn.
- If you have a device, indicate where the speaker is and turn up your volume.
- If you need help, ask a volunteer.
- If you have an assistant, they are welcome to attend the meeting with you.
Credit for the theme and ideas of the 2017 Minnesota AAC Town Hall Meeting
goes to the International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (ISAAC).
- This meeting is accessible for people with communication disabilities.